I was up so so early to catch the plane. Well early for my because I'm the type that sleeps at 3am and gets up at 9, so 6 is quite the unreasonable hour. Despite this I was up and off to the airport, I think maybe this was my first time catching a plane by myself. and I'm 23! Goes to show how much I get out and about. Colombia was my destination that i hope to eventually arrive at. And, well, I did. Quite easily actually despite my lack of knowledge of Spanish and my inexperience with traveling.
So why Colombia? Well I'm spending the next month here in Bogota studying at La Sabana University. As I'm almost finished my Master of Business majoring in Marketing at QUT in Brisbane (Australia) I thought some international experience would be a great idea. Having only limited options to study abroad made it tricky but I took the plunge and went way out of my comfort zone and picked Colombia (plus I quite enjoyed seeing the shock on peoples faces when I mentioned I would be off to South America alone).
So after a ridiculously long day of waiting at the airport, sitting on a plane and repeating 3 times, -Brisbane to LA (13hrs) LA to Miami (5 hours) Miami to Bogota (4 hours). I have just spent my first full day here in Bogota and have done absolutely nothing! which has actually been nice (sleep is always good after a massive flight). I arrived at 12am and had to spend the night at the house of the lady that picked me up from the airport as my host family didn't wake to answer the door when I arrived! No matter Alejandra is lovely and made me delicious coffee and eggs and cheese for breakfast.
I am now at my host families apartment in the North of Bogota it's very nice but so different to typical houses in Australia. I have already discovered that communication will be tricky as Gloria and Eduardo do not speak any English like most Colombians. I am just hoping I can pick up Spanish soon enough!
Tomorrow another girl from my university is arriving, she will be staying here too, so at least I will be able to communicate with someone! Hopefully I will be able to get out and about and explore the area a bit before uni begins on Monday.
Well that's all for now. Although I will try and update daily on my time in Colombia and hopefully with photos too. There are so many interesting and beautiful sights here in Bogota!
No comments:
Post a Comment